Thursday, October 3, 2024

So, Rock Me Mama Like a Wagon Wheel.

So, rock me mama like a wagon wheel

Rock me mama any way you feel
Hey... mama rock me” - Darius Rucker


Game 4- June 5th, 2024

Hurtin' Units vs. Draft Kings.

Hurtin' Units

Team Record – 1-2-0

Keogh Park – I have used a wagon to carry the equipment and supplies to the diamonds since the day Mikey Boy and I became the captains of the Hurtin' Units Baseball Club. This is the Hurtin' Unit's fourteenth season and so for the last fourteen years, a wagon has rolled along the path at Coventry Park and along the sidewalk at Keogh. I know some of you are asking “Why do you even need a wagon Jimmer?. Well, I'll tell you that as a captain, we bring multiple items to a game. First is the bats, then there is personal equipment (i.e. Glove, masks, batting gloves, cleats, etc.), a hammer for pounding in the bases ( I carry a 5-pound sledgehammer, it gets the job done in a hurry), baseballs for the game and sometimes I'll bring some a cooler with some Bubly sparkling waters to refresh myself during a game.

It was almost from the time that Mikey Boy became captain that I started using a
wagon, but in actual fact I tried a couple of different wheeled carts before the wagon. I originally tried a golf pull cart and strapped the bats to that, I had a milk crate at the bottom for balls and other stuff, but the bungee cords didn't hold the bats well enough and they would fall over and it was really just a pain in the ass. The wagon was the solution to the problem.

I am surprised that nobody else, from our league,  does not use a wagon, especially with the long walk to Coventry # 3 and now with the parking lot so full (kids on at 7:00pm), it's even a longer walk. I have only ever seen 1 other captain, in our league, using a wagon (that I can recall) and that was Sweet Lou C. with the Sliders and his pimped-out purple wagon.

I am a member of the Bolton Wellness Centre and there are diamonds at the back of the parking lot. One time I was at the gym and there was a fastball tournament going on there, I wandered by the diamonds to take in some of the action. I was surprised to see how many wagons were being used at this park. There was a row of wagons, on each side of the diamond, lined up like cars in a parking lot. I guess the parents don't like carrying stuff either. I was also surprised by how many shelter tents were also set up there.

In the fourteen seasons, I have had 3 wagons. My first wagon, I purchased at Costco, it was red, but it was a thin metal and it wasn't very good. It lasted several years, but once was bringing it down a little hill by C#1 and the front axle hit the little ditch at the bottom and broke the axle. It was not a fun trip from that point on. I welded the axle, before the next game, but it was never the same... It was time for another wagon. The next wagon was a solid frame, but big knobby tires and it didn't turn well, I've used it ever since, up until this season. This season I am using a deluxe double-decker wagon that was gifted to me by Russell and Terri Mabee. I am now able to put the bats on the lower level and equipment on the top of the wagon. It's a beauty!!! Thanks, Russell and Terri for the new, deluxe, double-decker wagon.

Okay, that's enough talk about wagons, let's get to the game vs. The Draft Kings. For the first time, we find ourselves at Keogh Park. We were scheduled to play there a week ago, but we were rained out. This was also our first game at 7:00pm this season. The weather was actually good for this game, the temperature was around 23 degrees, but there was a risk of thunderstorms, there was also a warm wind rustling the trees at Keogh. It was a perfect night for baseball... at least early in the evening.

At game time, the Units had 8 of the regular team players, we were missing Steve, Steve, Kevin and Alex. I was aware of the one Steve, but we hadn't seen the other since game # 1. I was a little panicky, at about 2 minutes to seven and just as I was texting the Sub-controller, I saw Stevie P. running from the legion parking lot. How do you spell relief...S.T.E.V.E. We picked little Jerry M. as a sub for this game. Thanks, Jerry, once a Unit always a UNIT. Hayden L. was the scorekeeper and Reagan (sp) was the umpire for the game. We played the full seven innings.

In the first inning, the Units sent 8 batters to the plate and came away with a short-
lived 3-0 lead. In the bottom of the inning, the Drafties also sent 8 batters up and came up with 4 runs.

In the second inning, the Units scored another 3 runs, highlighted by a Brandon homerun over the left field fence. In the bottom, the Unit's defence closed the door on the Kings. The third and fourth innings were a little quiet and neither team put up any runs on the scoresheet.

In the fifth inning, the Unit's bottom of the order came through and 7 batters later, had scored 3 more runs. The Drafters would not go away, they would also score another 3 runs. After 5 complete innings, the score was 9-7 for the Units.

In the top of the sixth inning, Brandon and Jamie got things started and both would come around to score some big insurance runs. The bottom of the inning was not friendly to the Units, the Drafties would send 10 batters to the plate and 5 runs would score. The score after 6 completed innings was 12-11 for the Kings of Draft.

In the top of the seventh inning, Cookie would lead off with a huge hit (last out for a courtesy), Jerry would fly out, Dickie would hit a fielder's choice, forcing Cookie out at 2nd, Brandon would hit scoring Dickie to tie the game, Jamie would follow and cash in Brandon, Units take a 1 run lead. Peter would get on and drive Jamie to third, Porter would get out and the inning was over. In the bottom, Dion would get on, Alex would pop out, Wayne would fly out to Jamie, and Tyler would also fly out to Jamie to end the game. Unit's win 13-12.

All in all, we had a decent night and our defense looked really good. The bats were good in this game, Brandon, Jamie and Alex Dickie lead the way with great contributions from everyone in the lineup. A solid game from the Units.


The Hurtin' Units next game is June 11th vs.The Rusty Rebels.

No comments: