Thursday, October 3, 2024

Bird is the Word.



Game # 9 - June 25th, 2024

Hurtin' Units vs. The Brew Birds

Hurtin' Units lose 13-9

Team Record – 3-6-0


Coventry Park – For this game we find ourselves on C1 for the first time this season. The Hurtin' Units have 2 games this week and both are on C1. I mentioned in the last game post that I disliked C2, I'm not really sure what it is that bothers me, but I am happy to be on a different diamond. I think C1 is my favourite diamond at Coventry, probably because it's close to the parking lot. I actually like most things about C1, the way people heading to the other diamonds stop and say Hello, the new lighting, the fields and just the over all feel of this diamond. For this game we get one of the new teams in the league this season. The Brew Birds, captained by Shawn Ramadan and Harley Taft.


Okay, before I babble on about the game, I would like mention that a couple of times in a season, I like to smudge our bats. I take them and remove all the bad energy and cleanse them through a process that has been used for centuries. If you are unfamiliar with what smudging is, just Google it and you will understand the process. I usually do this at the start of the season, getting rid of the losing forces, removing the previous team's energies and cleansing the bats for the new team. For some reason, I didn't get to it until now. Over the last 2 weeks the Units have had some hitting and scoring troubles, and over the pass weekend, I decided to light a smudge stick (given to me by Mike and Michele Olliffe for Christmas) and clean up our bats. The process is a simple one and hopefully it will turn the Hurtin' Units hitting around. Maybe this will keep Resmondo from running off again

Speaking of Resmondo, I received an anonymous photograph this week of a
bat with a mask on. I think, but can't be sure (the mask thing) that this could be Resmondo. This could explain why he takes off and what he might be doing. I think Resmondo is super hero who fights crime when he takes off into the night. He might just be using 26.5 oz Baseball Bat as a cover, kinda like Clark Kent, but is really Superman.

Game Time:

The weather this week has cooled off compared to the stinky hot days last week. It's still warm, I was over at Coventry this afternoon hitting a bucket of balls and worked up a sweat. Speaking of Coventry, the town has planted new trees around the park. The temperature for this game was in the low 20s, but the humidity was still lingering around. There was a soft (almost non existent) wind blowing the trees, but on the field there was no moving air.

At game time, the Units had 9 of the regular team players, we were missing Kevin, Steve S. and Steve P., we didn't really have a scorekeeper, Jon A's son gave it a good effort, I didn't know the umpire, but I can say he called a good game. We played seven innings. The Units were the home team and almost came back in the bottom of the 7th. I picked up Franco B as a sub for the Units. Thanks Franco, like always you're my go to guy. again.


I think I will spare everyone the details of this game, I have babbled on way to long and I'm still crying from another close loss. I may come back and talk about the game in the future, but probably not. I will tell you this about this game, it was fun. This was the first time playing the Brew Birds and I laughed and smiled through most of it. I really like the guys on their team, Shawn R., Varinder, Roger and Jon A. had me chuckling most of the game.

Jon A hit a monstrous homerun over the LCF fence and also hit a screamer to Brandon at short-stop. The Brew Birds hit well on the night and I thought the Units defence was solid, we gave up a 5 run inning, that was probably the worst in the game. The Units hit well also, Brandon and Jamie led the way, but the offence was hitting well, just not well enough to come back in the final innings.

The Hurtin' Units hopped on the steamtrain after the game last night and are heading down to Dodge City for a season rematch. The Units will be taking on Yosemite Sam and the varmints on the Dodge City roster on Wednesday night at 8:00pm. Yippee.


No comments: