Tuesday, October 31, 2023

Let's get Flippity in Piper's Pit.


 
Game # 20 – August 16th, 2023

Hurtin' Units vs. The Bat Flippers

Hurtin' Units win 12-7

Team Record- 4-15-1

Okay, so after the last game, when we saw the Units probably hit the lowest point in the season (17-0 loss to the Master Batters), we were able to forget about what happened quite quickly, because on Friday night the August Tournament had started and guys were playing for other teams for the weekend. The Hurtin' Units (2022) 2.0 tournament edition was reunited for a nostalgic weekend of the ball. It was great getting back with the guys and we looked good in our first game. Actually, we looked pretty good the entire weekend but fell short in a couple of the games. We did still get to play a Sunday game but lost to the Gruesome by a score of 14-13. As for 2023 Hurtin' Units, I did see some guys playing on other teams. Nick, Justin, and Tommy were spread out over a couple of teams.

I thought the tournament was a great success, it was well run, the weather was pretty good (we did have a rain shower), most teams were competitive and there was some good baseball played. The guys (and gals) running the show did a great job, thanks should go out to Anthony, Rose, Dave, Rob and all the volunteers who made this a fun tourney.

The weather for this Hurtin Units game was comfortable, around 22 degrees, again with a soft breeze and for most of the day, the weather channels were calling for rain. Roman would remind me to say that we did have a few sprinkles during the game. I looked out my window at 5:30 pm and it was still dry. We got the game in. We had a 7:00pm start time, on C#3. The Units were the visitors.

At game time, the Units had 11 guys ready to take on the Flippers for the second time this season. Ingo was the only missing body on the night. I sent an email out to the team earlier in the day, saying this was going to be a playoff preview, it kinda was with a few more aches and pains from the weekend tournament.

I did not get a picture of the game sheets, so I can't really get into details. I guess the best thing I can do is tell you what I know about the game and what silliness came from it. I did learn about Piper's Pit, there was an inning when Roman was coming off the field babbling about the Piper's Pit, I actually thought it was Brad Pitt's brother. Apparently, it's a wrestling thing to do with Roddy Piper, I did not follow the wrestling circuit and really didn't have a clue what Roman and other guys were talking about. I guess you do learn something new every day.

There was also an inning where Pete was playing left field and made a spectacular catch, but I thought it was Tommy. Tommy is Pete's doppelganger or Pete is Tommy's doppelganger and when they are on the field they look similar. I never noticed this until last night. I guess you do learn something new every day.

I also learned that Marie Harris just secretly shows up at our games and then fades away into the darkness. Or was she really even there? Mysterious Girl in the Bleachers.

The other strange thing about this game was that we won. Let's not gloss over this Hurtin' Units win thing, it's only our 4th win all season and Piper's Pit gets the headline. How sad is this? The good thing is, we are not talking about that 17-0 loss from last week.

The Hurtin' Units are back to it on Wednesday evening vs. The Beer Bros., what crazy shit is in store for us in this upcoming game.

No comments: