Wednesday, June 26, 2013

THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY...

HURTIN' UNITS VS. THE BREW JAYS.




Game # 9 - June 19, 2013

Hurtin' Units win 28-12

Team Record- 4-5-0

Keogh Park- I got a little bit nervous on Wednesday when I saw this bright shining ball in the sky. And the fact that I saw it on a day that we had a game made me more nervous and even a little bit scared also. The sun out, no rain falling, a Hurtin' Units game on the schedule, I must be dreaming... beep, beep, beep time to get up Jimmer. 


At the Legion 2 Monday nights ago, the night we lost to the Grusome Devils by a score of 15-14, Rob Farah asked me if I could sub on Thursday June13 for the same Devils and I said I could. On Wednesday, before our game against the Dislocated Joints, I hurt my foot (I mentioned it in the last blog) and on Thursday morning I had to e-mail Rob and Jens letting them know that I couldn't sub, my foot was too sore.

I'm not really sure what the heck I did, but I do know that I could barely put any pressure on it. I thought it could be gout, but with a little online research I was convinced that that wasn't the case. I must have bruised it or hit it on something. By Sunday I could put some pressure on it and I was feeling much better.

On Tuesday afternoon (this week), Rob F. called me to sub again, this time for the Beer Bros., and I decided to give it a go and see how the foot felt.

The foot felt good and the game with the Beer Bros. vs. the Blues Brothers was a good one. The final score ended up 8-8. In the top of the 7th inning the Beer Bros. took a 2 run lead and in the bottom of the inning and it got pretty intense. With 2 out and the bases loaded, Beer Bros. pitcher Jerry W. walked in the 7th run and then walked in the tying run with 8 straight balls. With the winning run only 60 ft. away, Jerry battled the next batter to a 3-2 count, and the runners would be moving on the next pitch, the pitch came in the batter hit the ball slowly to the Bros. second baseman, a catch, a quick soft toss to Mark D. covering 2nd base and the game was over. 8-8 tie.

The Hurtin' Units last 2 games have been very bizarre. The last game with the Dislocated Joints was rain filled, lopsided and confusing. In this game, the Brew Jays only had 8 players, the Units would have the bats clicking and the defense was really good. Like I said 2 bizarre games. 

The Units would provide a catcher and the Jays would play 4 fielders and no third baseman. I thought about asking if they wanted us to provide a third baseman, but I really didn't know what the rule was and shied away from asking. 

The weather for this game was warm and humid. The temperature at 5:30pm was around 22 degrees and with the humidity it felt like 24 degrees. The sky was mostly clear with the odd fluffy cloud up floating by. A perfect night for baseball...and no rain. 

At game time we had 11 players in Keogh Park for the 7:00pm start. Brian was working afternoons. 



The boxscore tells a pretty good story of how this game went for the two teams. There was also a triple play in this game by the Units; a line drive to second, throw to first to catch the run who had left the bag, then a throw to second for an out for a batter who had left second.

The Units next game is Thursday June 20th, makeup game vs the Rusty Rebels.

No comments: