Tuesday, August 30, 2016

HURTIN' UNITS HAVE A DUSTY, GRUESOME, GRISSLIE, RUSTY, BEERY, TAPPING, MASTERFUL, WOODY, INGLORIOUS, DODGIE, DOGCATCHERISH, SLIDERISH, SONNY, GAME AGAINST THE DRAFT KINGS.

HURTIN' UNITS VS. THE DRAFT KINGS.

Game # 25 - August 25, 2016

Hurtin' Units win 15-3

Team Record - 14-11

Keogh Park- Back on June 14th, in game # 9 on the season, the Hurtin' Units and the Draft Kings met for the first time. The game was actually quite close, within 3 runs at the end of the 6th inning. In the end the Units could not string enough hits together to pull out a win. Here is how I described the final 3 innings of that game back then. ( I don't know why this first part is red again, it happened last time we played the Draft Kings, it's a Draft Kings thingie).


In the top of the 5th inning, the Draft Kings continued to pound the baseball around the diamond. And again they would score another 7 run inning. In the bottom, the Units would fight back with 3 runs. The score at the end of 5 complete innings- Draft Kings 16, Hurtin' Units 8. 

In the top of the 6th inning, the Units would shut down the Draft Kings and in the bottom of the inning, the Units would score 5 runs. The score at the end of 6 innings- the Draft Kings 16, Hurtin' Units 13. 


In the 7th (open inning) the Draft Kings would tack on another 3 runs. In the bottom of the inning, the Units were only down by 6 runs, but the Draft Kings would shut the door and the Units would be defeated by a score of 19-13

Coming in to our second game with the Draft Kings, I was a little nervous. The Draft Kings were in first place, they could clinch the league title with a win and they were defending for the Beer Cup. This was pretty strong motivation to come out strong. 











After our game on Tuesday night vs. the Master Batters, I wasn't certain how the Units would respond when up against the league's power house. The Units responded like I hoped they would. We have had a bit of a rough patch recently (not sure why) but we needed a good showing going in to the playoffs. And we did. 

There were a few setbacks on the night, but they didn't play in to the final outcome. I forgot my shin pads and my phone at home for this game. I played without the shin pads (really didn't want to) and because I forgot my phone, I could not take a picture of the game sheet. I did managed to scribble down a boxscore from this game. Going old school.

Shin Pads:


Yes, that is a huge lump on my leg. 
Last season, just before the playoffs started, the Units decided to have a practise. During the practice, my teammate Scott P. hit a ball back to the pitcher's mound (is there really a mound?) and the ball hit me just above my shin pad. 

In the first game of the playoffs, I had to wear a hockey shin pad to protect the injured area. Let me tell you this, it's really difficult running the bases in a hockey shin pad and with a big boo boo.  

This injury was very painful and I had a flush of bad memories when I realized I had forgotten my shin pads on Thursday night. Fortunately, I managed to my glove in front of most of the balls, coming back to me, on the mound, on this night.  

Game Time:

The weather for this game was hot. During the day the temperature was up around 29 degrees, but the humidity was really the issue. At game time the heat and humidity were still around and I was feeling it. The shirts we have this season have been great, but on this night my shirt was drenched with sweat and there was one point in the early innings, I thought I might pass out from being so hot.  


At game time we had 10 Hurtin' Units players dressed in team shirts (yes, everyone was in the 2016 team shirt). Missing on the night were Gord D. and Mark B. 






Inside the Game:

  • I forgot my shin pads and phone at home. "I never play without shin pads, I'm sure nobody will hit up the middle, right"? 
  • I had 4 plays with balls hit up the middle (it's like they knew I wasn't wearing shin pads). There were 2 ground balls and 2 line drives, probably the most action, in a game, I've seen all season.
  • This game was being played for the Beer Cup and the Units would become the defenders for the next game.
  • Clayton was scheduled to play the outfield for 2 innings, but came to me and offered to play the entire game, since this game was so close. That's a team player!
  • I smudged the bats before the game and it seemed to work. Also smudged my glove, this was the first time I've ever done this, seemed to work there also.
  • Ingo made a couple of nice plays at third. 
  • In our first game vs. the Draft Kings, Chuck was missing.
  • Chuck and Jimmer made a "jug of beer" bet before the game (Beer Cup thing), Chuck wanted to bet for 2 jugs, but I wanted 5 to 1 odds since they were the #1 team. It didn't happen. Chuck is awesome!
  • This win guaranteed the Units a .500 record or better for the season. This will be the 2nd time in the last 2 seasons the Units will finish over .500. Nice job guys.
  • Clayton made a nice throw to home from left field, with Chuck running home, almost got him. Safe!!
  • Jon made a great throw to Robert, at home plate, for a big out.
  • The Draft Kings could have clinched the league title with a win. Not tonight boys!
  • There was one inning when the ball was hit to Clayton in left field, next batter hit to Pete in left center field and the next batter hit to Ted in right center field. Change them up boys.
  • I was unable to take a picture of the game
    Bookends.
    sheets because I forgot my phone.
  • I had the first ball of the game hit back to me at pitcher (David P.) and I had the last ball of the game hit back to me (Wayne C.) in this game. Book ends. 
  • Jon had a solid game at shortstop chasing down balls that look like they were going to drop in. On one hit, Jon caught a ground ball that looked like it going through the infield, fell down, got back up and made the throw to first for the out. 
  • Pete made 2 awesome over the shoulder catches in left center field.
  • Al was the only outfielder to not make a fly ball catch, made a great effort on one ball hit to right field. Nice try Al.
  • I moved myself up in the lineup for the first time this season. I followed Jim R. in the order, back to back JIMMERS. 
The Hurtin' Units next game (final game of the season) is Tuesday August 30th at 8:15pm. 

No comments: