Sunday, September 4, 2016

SLIP, SLIDE AND AWAY IN TO THE PLAYOFFS.

HURTIN' UNITS VS. THE SLIDERS.


Game # 26- August 30th, 2016
(Last regular season game)

Hurtin' Units win 32-15

Team Record 15-11-0

Coventry Park- By this point in the season, I am all blogged out. In actual fact, I'm tired of doing this about 2 weeks in to the season. I keep it going because it really is a documentation of the Hurtin' Units team history. The blog goes back to the very beginning, since our first season (2010) and I have documented every game from the time Mike and I became captains. 

The funny thing is, in the very first blog (2010), my opening line was that I was debating whether or not to even do a blog. As of this blog, this will be the 205th posting for the Hurtin' Units team. By the end of the season, they seem to get a little weaker and I find myself getting a bit lazier. My first kick at a blog was when I was playing for the Rusty Rebels during the 2007 season. I blogged every game of that 2007 Rusty Rebel season. If you want to check out the Rusty Rebels' blog click this link http://rustyrebels.blogspot.ca/ 

The other things I like about the blog is that I can go back and get reference material that is relevant to the game that I'm going to post. I can also go back and look at team rosters for every season going back to the beginning. If you view the rosters tab, on the left hand side you can see every player that ever played for the Hurtin' Units during the regular season and playoffs. I believe, in my last count, there have been approximately 56 players play on the Hurtin' Units in the last 7 seasons. 

There is one thing I would like to do before the season ends, is to get a full team picture. We have a picture from the HTKP tournament, but we are missing a few players. Someone (on our team) suggested we do a team picture, sign it and give it to our sponsor. I think it is a good idea and she will probably hang it up in the clinic. We will work on getting a full team shot over the next couple of games. 

I can't believe another season has almost come to an end. The regular season, for the Hurtin' Units has already come to an end. It seems like only a month ago that we were at the draft selecting our roster, 26 games played in the blink of an eye.  


Time to grow the playoff beard.
This season was awesome, and hopefully there is more to come. We went the entire season without a rain out and without a tie. Every other season, since the Units joined the league we have had at least 1 tie and a weather related cancellation of a game during the season. We finished the season with a 15-11-0 record, 5th place overall and 4 games over .500. The playoffs are here and it's time to start growing our playoff beards.


One of those 15 wins (2 actually if you include this win) was against the Sliders. Back on June 20th, 2016, in game # 11, the Hurtin' Units and the Sliders played for the first time this season and the Units would come away with a close win. The final score would end up 18-17 for the Units. 

Game Time:

The weather for this was still hot, I looked at the weather network and the temperature was hanging around 28 degrees and the humidity was high. I remember it wasn't long before we were working up a good sweat. I've said this line many o' times over the last couple of months. 

At game time we had 9 Hurtin' Units players dressed in 2016 Units' attire. Missing for this game were Jon, Mark and Gord. We picked up Jimmy Mac. as a sub. 












In this game, the Units would have an easier time, at least in the later innings. 































UNDER THE BASES:
  • The Units would have 4 seven run innings in this game.
  • We had 3 Jimmers in the lineup for this game. There was a game 2 years  ago when we had 3 Rickys in the lineup. It was Rickety.
  • Clayton, Jimmer T. and Peter would all have 6 for 6 nights batting.
  • Ted, Jimmer R., Brad and Mark would all have 5 for 6 nights batting. 
  • Ingo, when playing catcher, would catch 2 foul tips in for 2 huge outs in the game. Everyone was hoping the next batter (Lou) would do the same, but Lou would hit up the middle for a base hit. No hattrick tonight Ingo. 
  • Al F. would go 4 for 6 in batting. 
  • In this game the Hurtin' Units would defend for the Beer Cup, which they won against the Draft Kings on Thursday August 25th. 
  • I believe the Units won the Beer Cup for the season, but can't confirm, I haven't seen anything on the website.

Beer Cup Games Defended. 
2  Draft Kings
2  Rusty Rebels
3  Master Batters
6  Dusty Cleats
Beer Cup Games Played. 
1  Grisslies
1  Dog Catchers
1  Inglorious Batsters
2  Beer Bros.
2  Gruesome Devils
2  Sons Of Pitches
2 Dodge City Rounders
3 Hurtin' Units
3 Hot Tub Woody's
4 Tap Masters
6 Draft Kings
6 Master Batters
6 Rusty Rebels
8 Dusty Cleats

The Hurtin' Units have an optional practise game on Thurday Sept. at Keogh Park at 7:00pm vs. the Rusty Rebels. 

No comments: