Sunday, June 26, 2016

SLIDERMAN, SLIDERMAN, DOES WHATEVER A SLIDER CAN...

HURTIN' UNITS VS. THE SLIDERS.

Game # 11- June 20th, 2016

Hurtin' Units win 18-17

Team Record 6-5-0

Keogh Park - This game was the final of a three-game homestand. A home stand that saw the Hurtin' Units go with 2-1 record. The Units will now travel to Beer Brotherville for a game against the Beer Brothers on Wednesday evening. 

Coming into this game with the Sliders the topic of discussion wasn't where the Units and the Sliders were in the standings, not how the Units played against the Sliders in 2015 (they played twice), it wasn't even Brad S. telling us he was fishing naked at a nudist colony. Hey
Brad you see any beavers when you were fishing.? The topic of discussion was the weather during the day on Monday, the temperature reached 34 degrees (yes 34) and with the humidity, it felt like 40 degrees. Even thinking about moving made you sweat. 


There was also a severe weather warning, it was threatening of thunderstorms and rain. I didn't even know if we get this game in. On my way home from work, on Monday afternoon, I stopped in at the new Princess Auto in Bolton. I needed to pick up some grommets for the new Hurtin' Units banner. When I was there, I decided to pick up a rake so that I could work on the batter's boxes at Keogh Park on my way home. I was actually worried about the rain falling into the batter's boxes, I didn't want to be batting in a mud hole later that night. I stopped by Keogh Park, raked the boxes smooth and level, that way if it did rain, they would not filled with water. 

Fortunately, the rain passed us by and the evening was dry (if you don't count how much we sweat in the heat). 

Last season the Hurtin' Units and the Sliders played each other twice; in game number 7 on June 4th 2015, the Units would defeat the Sliders by the score of 26-23. In game number 26 (the last game of the season), the Units decided to change their shirt colour, we went with white shirts with a logo, on this night. The Hurtin' Units would defeat the Sliders by a score of 13-8. I believe this game was shortened because the Keogh lights would not come on.











Game time: 

I mentioned earlier the daytime temperature was 34 degrees, feeling like it was 40, it was definitely hot!! It was still uncomfortably hot at game time, but a strong wind had picked up and it seemed to be more tolerable. I have to say that this year's edition of our team shirts is great for days like this. In the past, I would be drenched with sweat, but I felt cool and dry all game long.  Tres Fantastic Shirts!! 

At game time we had at 11 HU players sweating, warming up, and ready to play. Mark was the only missing body on the night.

Roman was the umpire and thanks go out to Lisa P. for scorekeeping.

For this posting,  I'm going to let the box score and the game sheets do the talking (I think I babble on too much anyway). 




















































Inside the lines:


  • In this game, the Units gave up two 7 run innings, and these runs we're not the result of the Units throwing the ball away or errors or bad decisions. These runs were the result of good hitting by our opponents. In the first seven run inning, the Sliders hit 5 singles, 3 doubles and a triple to score their seven runs. In the second 7 run inning, the Sliders would hit 8 singles and I would walk two batters. That was the way they racked up seven runs, all one base at a time. 
  • John made a really nice double play to get out of an inning in the game.
     
  • In the final inning for the Sliders, Mooner would foul out to Clayton catching. Brad M. would fly out to Peter H. in RCF and Joe M. would hit to me at pitcher for a throw out at first. Guaranteed tie for the Units. 
  • Gord made multiple catches playing in the right outfield.
  • The Units would score a run in the bottom of the 7th to win the game 18-17.

The Hurtin' Units next game is Wednesday June 22nd, 2015 vs. the Beer Bros. 



No comments: