Wednesday, May 11, 2016

WITH A REBEL YELL, SHE CRIES MORE, MORE, MORE...

HURTIN' UNITS VS. RUSTY REBELS.

Game #2 - May 10th, 2016

Hurtin' Units win 14-10

Team Record-1-1-0


Coventry Park- The last posting was just a train wreck, I couldn't get anything copy and paste, images would not move to where I wanted them to and I was all over the place with what I was trying to say. I'm hoping that this posting goes a little more smoothly. 

So, last Thursday night I subbed for the Dodge City Rounders vs. the Rusty Rebels. I played most of the game in the catcher position (which I don't mind) and I got a great view of the batting power that the 2016 Rusty Rebels. Yikes!!! These fellas can hit the ball!!! I also got to watch their pitcher Scotty B., throw the ball from way out, with the speed of a R.A Dickie knuckle ball (still pretty fast). The Hurtin' Units were in for a good battle in this game. 

So, going in to this game vs. the Rusty Rebels, I was again a little bit nervous. In the Units first game, the defense was really good, but our bats underachieved (it was our first game) and I was a little nervous of the same thing happening again after witnessing the power of the Rebels in my sub game. 

My nervousness quickly diminished after the Units sent 9 batters to the plate, in the first inning, and scoring 4 runs. It's always nice to play with a lead.  

Okay, let's take a step back before we go on with the game stuff...The weather for this game was almost perfect. The temperature was hovering around 18 degrees, no wind, but I said almost perfect, we were on C2 and the sun was shining in the eyes of right field and first and second bases for a portion of the game.  











At game time we had 10 players in the Hurtin' Unit shirts ready to go. Al was in the lineup for the first time this season. Missing from this game were Clayton and Robert. Al got in some hitting practice with Peter and Jon prior to the game.


The one noticeable difference between this game and our first game was the improvement in batting. We were up against a tough Rebels pitcher in Scotty B. and we still managed to hit the ball hard while spraying it all around the field. 





Highlights for Units.

  • The defense was really solid again in this game.
  • Jon hit an in the park homerun
  • Brad popped up his first 2 at bats, but then hit 2 great line drives next 2 at bats. 
  • The Units offense really started to come around...Jon 5/5, Pete 5/5, Ted 4/5, Jim 4/5, Al 3/5, Gord, Mark and Brad 2/4 and Ingo and Jimmer 1/4, (but hit the ball well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it).
  • Al got his running legs after tripping over his own feet in the early innings.                                                                                                                                        
Quest for the Cup.

When I was subbing, last week, for the DCRs vs. the Rebels, I was informed that the DCRs were defending for the Beer Cup. Unfortunately, the Rusty Rebels would be victorious and the Rebels would claim the cup. 

At that time, I was not aware of who the Hurtin' Units were playing next on their schedule. On Monday afternoon I realized that the Units were playing the Rusty Rebels and the Beer Cup was on the line.

So, with the victory for the Hurtin' Units over the Rebels on Tuesday evening, for the first time in Units' history, the Units are the holders of the Beer Cup. The Hurtin' Units will be defending to hold on to the Beer Cup on Thursday May 12th vs. the Tap Masters. Units Unite!!


No comments: