Thursday, May 12, 2016

TOUGH, TIGHT, TAPPIN' NIGHT.

HURTIN' UNITS VS. THE TAP MASTERS.

Game #3 - May 12th, 2016

Hurtin' Units lose 16-15


Team Record- 1-2-0


Keogh Park- The Hurtin' Units long road trip, to start the season, continued last night as we rolled in to Tapper Town for a tilt with the tip, top Tappers. 


The Tap Masters were a little short handed, so they picked up a couple of Master Batters. Gord T. and Dave F. gave a helping hand to get the job done. They beat us hard! 


On Wednesday evening I subbed for the Dusty Cleats and with our game on Tuesday night, I would play 3 nights in a row. What the heck was I thinking? I woke up on Friday morning feeling a little sore. It didn't help that Dave and Gord (of the Master Batters) battered and bruised me with hits off my shin and glove hand. Holy Shin!!! That really, really hurt.


Trying to fix the Taps.
At around 5:00pm on Thursday afternoon (game day), I
went down for a 3 hour nap, but just before I did, I made the mistake of looking at the Weather Network. The forecast was calling for rain and thunderstorms, to begin shortly after 6:00pm. I did not nap very well knowing that I might wake up to bad weather. As it turned out, the weather looked good around game time (9:30pm). The temperature was around 18 degrees and seemed to be getting cooler, but once we started running around it felt warmer. As our game was finishing up, we could see lightening and hear thunder in the distance. The rain came shortly after the game had concluded. 


At game time the Units had 11 players in green and yellow ready to take on the yellow shirted Tappers. Robert was back from the DL where he was fighting a chest infection and Clayton was still away on a work assignment. 

Following most games, I will take a picture of the score sheet and do a boxscore for the blog. So last night I thought I took a picture of the both sides of the scoresheet, but it turns out I only did one side (the Hurtin' Units side). So based on what I knew about the score at the end of the 3rd inning I managed to fudge a few numbers and make a boxscore.














Highlights of the Units:

Okay these are not highlights, but more like things that happened in the game.

  • Ingo made a spectacular catch, in left field, running hard to his left.
  • Ingo was robbed on 2 hard hit balls that were caught in the outfield.
  • Jon was called out at home when he believed he was clearly safe. (that one run might have changed the game).
  • A Tap Masters batter was given second base, the umpire believed that Ted interfered with the runner at first. 
  • Mark made a play at third, tumbled, rolled on the ground, tripped, bobbled the ball, fell down, did 2 cart wheels, and a hand stand before coming to a stop behind second base. Way to keep the ball in the infield! All I have to say about this play is that Tide will probably get those dirt stains out...LOL.
  • Gord T. and Dave F. both hit me with hard hit balls at pitcher.
  • The Beer Cup defense was short lived and the Cup is now in the hands of the Tappers.
  • Robert made a nice catch in right field, struck out in the 7th...There is a learning curve, relax and enjoy buddy!
  • Thanks go out to Deb for scoring this game.
  • Thanks go out to Gina for being our only fan in the stands.
  • Prior to the game Peter pointed out to me that we have had half of our runs scored against us in the last inning. Last night's game was the same thing. The bullpen is not doing a very good job.
  • We scored 9 runs in the open inning and had the go ahead base runner on second...Al lined out for the Units final out.
  • This game was a really good character building game for the Units. 
  • Almost everyone on the Units hit the ball hard in this game. 
  • Scott Peters is my new nemesis this season (last year it was Clouch). Scott
    played for the Hurtin' Units last season and I never saw him hit the ball out of the park. 
    The Tap Masters had 2 out, 1 guy on base, when Scotty hit a 2 run homerun over the left field fence. The Tappers would score 7 runs, all with 2 outs, in the bottom of the 6th inning. PETERS!!!! 

The Hurtin' Units next game is Tuesday May 17th at Coventry Park at 8:30pm. 


No comments: