Sunday, May 8, 2016

MAY THE FOURTH BE WITH YOU.

HURTIN' UNITS VS. THE GRISSLIES.


Game #1 - May 4th, 2016
Hurtin' Units lose 5-4
Team Record- 0-1-0
So opening night has finally arrived and I must admit that I'm a  little nervous about the start of the season. You would think  that going into the 7th season, I would be calm, cool and collected.
Maybe I'm a little bit nervous because of the new stuff going on  this season.
  I have only played with 2 of the 2016 roster before , Al Fry and Clayton Avery (Clayton has actually been a Hurtin' Unit on 2 previous occasions), everybody else, including my new co-captain, is a new chapter in the Hurtin' Units saga. There are a few other changes going in... the new shirt color, new logo and the hope that we can build on what we did last season. There is also the new Oldtimers website, which allows all the teams to write a little blog. I have tried using the blog thingie on the Oldtimers website and really didn't like it ( it's not very user friendly), so I've decided to put the scores or our games there and any information about the game here. If this posting doesn't look quite right, it's because I cut and paste some stuff and like I said, the website blog is not very user friendly. 
So this game was our season opener and the Units took on the Grisslies, who had already played a game and had probably made some adjustments to their team for this game. The Units did have a practice and I had some idea of positions and where the guys would bat.  

For the only the second time in the Hurtin' Units his we lost our season opener. 
The only other time was back in 2014 when we went our first 10 games before we got a win in late July 2014. 

Going in to this game I mentioned I was a little nervous; I also had some worries about how good the defense would be, I also had a thought that the offense looked pretty good. As it turns out, the defense was damn good and the offense didn't have a very good night. Go figure!

I really enjoy a close game, and this one was quite enjoyable. This game was as close as it gets and there was never more than a 2 run difference in the game. In the end, the Grisslies would find a pull out the victory in the bottom of the 7th. Great game by both sides. 

 There were a couple of other things I liked in this game. I mentioned the defense was pretty good for the players of the Units for the first time out this season. I thought Jon and Pete were really good in this game (even though Jon thought he had a bad game). Brad and Robert hit the ball really well. Brad hit a ball deep to the outfield for an important RBI. Robert hit well, but had a few issues on the bases, he'll get it sorted out over the next couple of games. Clayton hit out of the batting order, we'll get this straightened out too! Peter hit a his first homerun, of the season, over the left field fence, hopefully there are more to come. 

Great first game Units!!



No comments: