Monday, April 13, 2015

SPRING TRAINING DOESN'T TAKE PLACE ON THE COUCH BENDER!!!

HEY VINNY... DRAFT DAY SHE'S A HERE...

Bender, step in to my office... I have some bad news for you. 

After what seemed like a long, cold winter, we are back in the swing of things and are gearing up for the 2015 season. The Units are back for another kick at the can. Last season was a disaster and Mike and I are hoping that we do not go through another season like that. I mentioned in the last posting that if we were to pick the exact same team as last season, I think the results would be better. But as we all know, the draft doesn't work that way and we will be looking at a different roster for 2015. 

I was actually looking forward to the draft this season and I'm more excited than the past 5 seasons, maybe because of the way last season played out. When the draft had concluded on Saturday April 11th the 2014 season was officially a thing of the past and unless I keep rehashing it in the blog, it will quickly become history. I will probably touch on things that happened throughout the 2014 season, but only if they are relevant to the posting I'm working on. 

On draft day, you never know what you're going to get. 
So draft day has come and gone, and we have a brand new team, well almost brand new. In addition to Mikey Boy and myself returning, we only have one player returning to the 2015 Hurtin' Units and that player is Dave McGovern. I'm glad that Mike picked Dave for this 2015 edition of the

Hurtin' Units. I thought Dave was one of the most consistent players on the 2014 squad with a solid bat and glove and a cannon for an arm. Welcome back Dave, here's to a better season than last. 

In addition to Dave, we also picked up two players that played with the Units in 2013, Darrell Hager and Vinny Basacchi. So, if you're any good at math, that leaves 7 new players that will be playin' with the Units. Nice!! If you want to see the full 2015 roster, click on the roster link in the left hand column (it's there somewhere) or just click on ROSTER PLAYERS right here. 

This season, the entire roster was chosen by Mikey Boy. Over the last five seasons we would alternate picks, but this season we decided that things had to change. I think Mike picked an awesome team. I like the team, but as I have mentioned before, I also really liked last year's team. I'm keeping even keel for the moment. Mike picked the team, I picked the shirts.

In addition to our change of personnel, we are also changing our shirts. After two seasons in the black and yellow we are changing to a navy blue shirt with white lettering. The logo will be different (Bender you're cut) and the font on the lettering has changed as well. 

Going in to the draft we were even willing to change the team name, if we had drafted a certain #2 player. That player was the Big Kahuna, but we just missed out on our bestest buddy and had to step back from the name and logo change. We had the new logo and team name ready at the draft and if we had chosen Kahuna, the wheels would have been put in motion. Unfortunately, we missed out on the big guy and had to go back to plan "A". Here what the Kahuna Hurtin' Units team name and logo would have looked like. 



The Kahuna logo would have looked awesome on front of the 2015 team...Maybe next year big guy.  

So that's it, the draft is over the teams have been picked and it's time to get ready for the first pitch. Good luck to all the new teams and hopefully the 2015 Hurtin' Units can make the memories of the 2014 season a thing of the past. See ya on the field.   



























No comments: