Sunday, April 26, 2015

A CONDENSED VERSION OF SPRING TRAINING...

BATS, PRACTICE and the FIELDS.

Captain's blog, stardate April 23rd, the weather outside, in this town, is not normal. Through the evening white fluffy precipitation has fallen and the ice cold winds are blowing it around. Yep, we actually had snow (not a lot), but still had a couple of centimeters last Thursday morning. And with the snow and all the rainfall we have had over the last week, I started to worry a little. I was  thinking that all precipitation may slow the drying of the fields and not allow us to get a practice in. 

I know the fields were looking pretty good last week.  Peter H. and myself were out on the Keogh diamond last week and the Keogh field was very playable. So good that we hit a couple of buckets of balls and loosened the shoulder and arm muscles with some throwing. It really felt great to be out on the diamond. I had some soreness the next day, but it was a good sore. 

The little practice session, with Pete, got me thinking about how important the preseason practice really is. Last season the Units didn't have a practice and when it came to opening night, I think it was revealed in our play. This year, I said to Mike that we really need to get on the field before the season starts. The problem is that weather and timing don't always sink up. There is also the issue of the Town not wanting players on the diamonds before they release them for play. I understand this to a certain point, but really, we are not on the diamond with motorcycles or ATVs, what damage could we really do? 

With the draft being later this year and there were only a few dates that we could get a practice in. Mike and I decided to pick a date and take our chances on the 26th of April. So when I saw the snow on the 23rd and felt how cold it was, I got a little nervous. 

I watched the weather forecast leading up to the practice date, there was no precipitation forecast, but the temperature was not looking great, but still good enough to get out on the field. The temperature, on practice day, was only 13 degrees and with 30 plus km/h gusts it seemed a little cooler. 

At practice time we had 8 Hurtin' Units players show up for the practice, 2 more than I was expecting. At the practice were: Jimmer, Mike O, Todd, Dave Mc., Bo, Mike C., Scott and Al. I also invited my buddy Peter H. to help run the practice. We all hit a bucket of baseballs (some a second bucket) and we shagged the hits. Peter also pitched a to some of the batters, which I was hoping he would. To finish the practice off, I asked Peter to self hit to guys playing the infield, they would make the play and throw to first to get in some throws and make it feel like a game situation. That worked out really well. I thought the practice went well. I'm looking forward to the start of the season. 

After the practice, we gathered around the bench and had a couple of beverages and talked baseball. All and all it was a good day for the new look Hurtin' Units. 




BAT DAY.

On Saturday April 25th, the league captains got together for bat day. Bat day you ask? This is where we get together and review the condition of the league bats, get the supply of baseballs for the season and any other equipment related items. This season there was enough money in the budget for the league to purchase 2 new bats per team. The bats are different (why would we buy 2 of the same bats), a little difference in price, but both are good quality. Teams are going to like the new bats.  

Bat Day was a decent day weather speaking, there was still a cool breeze, but at least it was warmer, the sun was out and and when we stayed out of the wind it was nice. This year bat day was held at Dave F.'s place, thanks for hosting bat day Dave.   




No comments: