Sunday, June 13, 2010

LUCKY STIFFS MISTIFIED BY HURTIN' UNITS...

HURTIN' UNITS vs. LUCKY STIFFS


Game # 4 - June 9, 2010

Hurtin' Units win 15-8

Team Record  3-1-0


Keogh Park- It was a rainy day (for some reason I'm thinking about pizza right now) for the second Wednesday in a row and I was really hoping we did not have to cancel our game again this week. I really look forward to our games and to go three weeks without playing would have been hard to take. At game time the rain had almost stopped , it was still misty and the field was wet, but we managed to get the game in.

Again this week we found ourselves down some players. Robin (1), Don (2) and Tom (6) were all absent for the game. Chris Nyers arrived at the park and realized he lost his glove, thankfully Mikey had an extra glove in this bag (co-captains, what would we do without them). I knew we were going to be short players and called for a sub ( mmmm sub, I should stop at Quiznos on my way home). Our thanks go out to Doris C. for filling in and playing a great game.

We were facing the Lucky Stiffs, captained by Clayton C. and John S., a team that Jerry Wallace and I had the experience of playing with in 2008 when we won the T.O.T championship. Winning feels good !! Just ask the Chicago Blackhawks...

We were the home team again (every game so far this season). The Lucky Stiffs opened the first inning putting up an egg (an omelette sounds good) and the Hurtin' Units came up with 7 big, juicy runs with only one out, which was a line drive hit by Mikey, a stinger, straight up the middle to the Stiffs pitcher Andy Gee. The Stiffs scored a single run in the top of the second and the units countered with another 4 runs. 11-1 after two innings.


The Lucky Stiffs seemed to tighten up their defense as the game progressed or maybe the Hurtin' Units bats went a little cold, whatever it was the Units could only muster up another 4 runs. The Stiffs found some holes, in the later innings, and managed to score another 7 runs, but in the end the tight Units defense minimized any real damage. Final score- Hurtin' Units 15 – Lucky Stiffs 8.


This was not a stellar defensive game by any stretch, but we did come out with a victory. There are always highlights, plays or mishaps that are worth mentioning. Al Hayward continues to impress me, he is hitting the ball extremely well ( he tells me it's because he watched the videos on the website), whatever it is, keep it going. It would appear that Chris N. is becoming more comfortable at the plate and stung the ball numerous times, I made to difficult catches playing second, a line drive off the bat of Cam Clark when my glove was half on my hand and the other catch a pop fly behind second base which I didn't think I was even going to get to ( I guess they all can't be easy), Paul hit the ball probably the best he has all season and last of all, it was nice to have Chris Ross back in our lineup...


Our defense was not as sharp as it's been in previous games, could have been the damp conditions, but we still managed to hold our opponents to 8 runs... In our 4 games played this season, we have allowed 32 runs against us, an average of 8 runs per game, not too shabby for a bunch of Hurtin' Units...


Post game we went back to the clubhouse (mmm clubhouse... I really shouldn't update the blog when I'm hungry), by clubhouse I mean the Legion, where several jugs of ale were consumed. I managed to take care of some other team business... We will enter our team in the Help The Kids Play tournament, everyone is onboard except Don (only because I haven't asked him) and 6 of us are going to order the Easton pullover with the 25th anniversary logo.


The case of the missing glove has also been solved... There has been a glove lying on the bar at the Legion for several weeks, probably had a few beers and pickled eggs ( I won't even go there with this one) splashed on it, but it is no worse for the experience.


The glove has written on the outside “ This is my glove...Chris”. It would appear that our teammate Chris Nyers misplaced his glove at our previous game and it has been getting to know the Legion faithful for the last couple weeks... I have the glove Chris and I will bring it to the next game...


We have two games next week....Monday June 14 at 7:00pm at Keogh and on Wednesday June 16, at 8:15 at Keogh... UNITS UNDENIABLE!!




No comments: