Tuesday, June 22, 2010

HURTIN' UNITS SNEAK BY THE SCARY BANSHEES...

HURTIN' UNITS VS. THE BANSHEES.

             
Game # 7  June 21, 2010


Hurtin' Units win 6-5


Team Record 5-1-1


Keogh Park- In the first of our 3 games this week we faced the Banshees. This game was the makeup game from June 2 when we were rained out. The game time (9:30) conditions were hot and sticky, a warm and humid evening considering the start time... Chris Ross was a delicious feast for the mosquitoes and bugs buzzing around the park.

At game time we had a full squad, almost a full squad, Jerry was AWOL. This didn't worry me like the last time he was missing, I felt comfortable going in to pitch and I also had no problem asking Tom if he was willing to pitch, after all we pitched a hell of a game against the Brew Jays, holding them to only 7 runs in a 10-7 victory. I chose Tom over myself not because I couldn't handle the task, but more because I prefer playing other defensive positions, mostly second base...

The game started off with the Banshees scoring two runs in the top of the first inning, but the Hurtin' Units countered with two of their own. I struck out watching 3 of Frank Laird's incredible pitches hitting the board ( I.O.U. Guys a frost jug). In a post game interview, at the Legion, by Chris Ross, I was asked the question “ what were you thinking when you saw three straight pitches hit the board?”, my reply was “ they all looked like they were outside”... Frank was throwing some good stuff and Tom was keeping pace... Jim MacDonald and I played for the Banshees last season and we have seen what Frank and Coopy are capable of doing...

The middle innings saw both teams score 2 more runs each, but in the bottom of the sixth inning the Units scored 2 more runs, to take the lead and make the score 6-4. In the top of the 7th inning the Banshees John Coopman tagged Tom for a solo, lead off homerun over the center field fence. The Hurtin' Units then displayed their defensive skills and stopped the Banshees without another threat.

The Units continue to play solid defense, the hitting in this game was also displayed, although not on the score sheet, we had the bases loaded 2 or more occasions, but we just couldn't bring the runners across and finally, I tip my cap to Tom Perry who pitched a great 5 run game. After pitching in 2 games, Tom has an ERA of 5.00.


I look forward to the other games this week, it's a tough schedule, 1 down, 2 to go... UNITS UNFINISHED.



No comments: