Friday, July 5, 2013

THE QUICK AND THE DEAD.

HURTIN' UNITS VS. THE DODGE CITY ROUNDERS.

Game # 13- July 4, 2013

Hurtin' Units lose 18-7

Team Record - 6-7-0

Keogh Park- Dodge City Rounders are another one of the teams we will only play once during the regular season. I remember last season we played the Dodge City Rounders back to back early in the season and the Hurtin' Units won both games. Not only did we win both games, but the wins were the first and second wins for the Units in the 2012 season.

I really like when the Units play Dodge City, it always reminds me of the way teams used to travel, by train, from town to town. And when we play the Dodge City Rounders I really like to ham it up with the traveling out of town to Dodge City. If you look back at older blog posts, with the Dodge City rounders, you'll see what I mean.

Unfortunately, we don't travel to Dodge City this season, that's really too bad, I really liked taking the train and Bender always seemed to have a good time going to Dodge City. I guess we'll just have to talk about the only game this season, playing as the home team. Maybe, just maybe, with this Hurtin' Units squad we are better to stay out of Dodge City. I could see a bar fight and being thrown in jail happening; the sheriff is a real bad ass and he don't take kindly ta strangers... 

Vadimir Eatenov - Russian Baseball League.
Before I talk about the game with the Rounders, I just want to touch on my suspicions about Woody being an impostor in our last game. I did a Google image search for Russian baseball stars and this picture of Vadimir Eatenov came up. For those of you who thought I was crazy for thinking Woody was an impostor, I now have photographic proof that Woody has a look-a-like and this person (let's call him Vad) might have played in the Hurtin' Units game against the Woodys. I mentioned, in the last posting, that I wasn't going to report this to the league, but I certainly will be keeping an eye on you Dan Woody. :) 

So this game was one of our scheduled 9:30pm games (I think we have 2 in total) and it is the last game of the week. And after this game we have the HTKP Tournament this upcoming weekend. Then we have a 7:00pm game on Monday( first game of the week) and then we have a game on Tuesday night at Coventry. We could be in for a lot of baseball over the next several days. If we play on Sunday, we will be playing 6 days in a row. That's a lot of ball, considering we haven't played since last Wednesday night when we defeated the Hottub Woodys by a score of 7-6.

The weather for this late game was warm and sticky, but considering there was a call for thunderstorms earlier in the evening, I think we Dodged a bullet.

At game time we had 12 players dressed. I think it is great to have the whole team out for a 9:30 game. Mike is still nursing a sore knee and didn't play in this game. He is doubtful for the HTKP tournament. 

This game with Dodge was not our finest hour. The 8 day layoff was not our friend and it showed with our bats, in my pitching and on the field. We had a chance to get over .500 last night and we let it slip through our hands, feet and gloves. I'll take some of the blame on this game, I
couldn't get loose and I couldn't hit the board consistently. I don't like to make excuses, but I will anyway; I went for a good run on Wednesday, followed by a day of painting without shoes on. I was pretty sore at game time from the run and my feet were sore from not wearing my orthotics while painting. I apologize for having a bad game, walking a handful of guys (4 walks) and struggling to get a head in the count. I promise a better game on Friday in the HTKP tournament.



Hurtin' Units game sheet.

My pitching was not the only problem on the night, we had a rough time defensively and our bats were the coldest I've seen them all season. The game sheet doesn't lie, we had a tough night at the plate. 


I also want to give Dodge City some credit, they hit the ball hard and sprayed it all over the diamond. Beechy just killed us; everytime this guy came up, especially with guys on base, I knew it wasn't going to be pretty. Some guys just hit the ball hard and this guy is a tough out. The Rounders were solid defensively also, they seemed to be positioned well and made some routine catches on some of our big bats.


Again, this was not our finest hour, but the great thing about baseball is we get to do it all over again. We are back on the field all weekend and again on Monday and Tuesday. Looking forward to playing this weekend. I like to play, what can I say. Giddy up Units...

No comments: