Friday, July 9, 2010

HURTIN' UNITS COME UP BIG WITH WOODIES...

HURTIN' UNITS vs. HOT TUB WOODIES....


Game # 12 - July 8, 2010

Hurtin' Units win 11-8

Team Record 10-1-1

For those of you that follow the Doug Dwyer blog site or even those who don't, in a recent poll conducted on the site, the question was asked " Who is Batman?", a mysterious blogger who has stirred up some controversy in the Grisslie lockeroom. I received an e-mail from Doug on Thursday morning, informing me that I was the poll leader at 54%. And even though this was just a poll, I felt that I should respond to Doug's e-mail...Here is my reply to Mr. Dwyer...

Dear Douglas, 

Holy Poll Question!! The poll results may believe that I may in fact be the Batman... Let me just start by asking a few questions?? Would the real Batman reveal his bat identity, even if a poll was correct?? I don't think so! Has anyone, including my nemesis The Pieman, ever seen me wearing a cape or tights?? I don't think anyone has seen me... Although my neighbors might dispute this answer. Has anyone ever seen a batmobile parked in my driveway? Many other vehicles, but never the batmobile... Does Mikey O. look like he could be the boywonder? Or would he even wear tights? And, has there ever been a blog posting on the Hurtin' Units Blog where I used a picture of the bat mobile or Batman related sayings in the blog? Tune in next week for more answers to other bat questions...Same bat time, same bat channel...I hope this e-mail has put to bed (with Batman sheets and pillow cases) the notion that I am the Batman... I must run along, my butler Alfred has lunch ready...

Regards, Jimmer.  

This link might help to shed some light on this situation.... http://hurtinunits.blogspot.com/2010/05/holy-bat-day-batman.html


I think I have made myself perfectly clear as to whether or not I am the Batman...You can check out Doug Dwyer's blog at http://tottenhamoldtimers.blogspot.com/

Now on to the really important stuff...

Keogh Park-The high temperatures and humidity were still hanging around on again on this night, not as bad as Tuesday evening, but still quite muggy. Sweat, sweat and more sweat was running downhill on most all of us, unless you were a robot...Hmmm, come to think of it,  I don't think I saw Paul break in to a sweat all evening, even though he was wearing those stripped, warm, insulated, long pants...Could he be?

There was a chance of Thunderstorms in the area, at 6:15pm I looked out my front window and saw a darkening sky, the wind had picked up and wondered if this game was going to happen...It did happen, the storm clouds were still hanging around at game time, but they didn't threaten us at all.

We were the home team again, my baseball supply was starting to get low, 5 balls left after tonight, 13 balls ( the number of balls each team receives) minus 5 balls means we have played 8 home games. I hope we play as well when we are the visitors....


At game time we had 11 guys ready to take on the Hot Tub Woodies, a team we had not seen yet this year...Tom could only play four innings because he has hockey on Thursday evenings, but he managed to get some at bats and had 2 innings at 2nd base and 2 innings at 3rd...I'm just happy to see him come out, even if it is only half a game... Tom is a great calming influence on the our team.

The Hot Tub Woodies actually played a tough game against us tonight, and although we came up with the victory it was not a walk in the park. All of the Hurtin' Unit runs came in only 2 innings, 7 runs in the 2nd inning and 4 runs in the 5th inning...It would be all that we would need, our defense came up solid throughout the entire game, allowing no more than 2 runs in any inning. This was certainly not the high scoring battle that we were in on Tuesday, when we had to scratch and claw are way back into the game. The Hurtin' Units seemed to have this game under control most of the evening, never really under a lot of pressure, it was certainly a close game, but I think we could have taken it to another level if it was necessary. I don't want to sound cockie, and I'm not, but we are capable of shutting teams down defensively and when our offensive is firing on all cylinders, we can put a pile of runs on the scoreboard...I really don't have to even mention this, we have played together for almost half a season (12 games already) and we have all experienced what we can do as a team... 

Boxscore:

                                   1st     2nd    3rd    4th    5th    6th    7th       Total


Hurtin' Units              0         7       0        0       4        0       0            11 


Hot Tub Woodies       1        2        2        0       1        2       0             8     


This is a team game and some nights, for what ever reason, guys have off nights. It may be a brain cramp and run off the bag, bad throws, missed catches, bad at bats, etc. We've all had these nights, sometimes we get a little down on ourselves. The nice thing about the Units this season is that when someone is having a bad night, this team seems to pick the slack, play as a team, and pull us through...

Every game is different, even playing the same team is different, there are never two games the same, we all know this and understand about the off night...I mentioned in one of my first blog posts for the Hurtin' Units, that I like to mention only the positive events or plays in our games (sometimes I'll mention the funny events), we are not professional baseball players ( I've never seen a paycheck for playing), we are recreational softball players and if someone has a bad game, it's usually forgotten by the next game. I am thankful we have such a great league to play in and good guys to play with, this is a team game and I like it that way...

We didn't have a great night tonight, but we played well enough to win. Don made several nice, running catches in LCF...Jerry caught a line drive back up the middle and through to first for a double play (Steve W. was down, but still a double play)... Jens caught a couple of line drives in LF... Al made a play that I thought was great, in the top of the 7th, while playing first base, he knocked down a hard it ball, recovered it and through, from his knees, to second base to Robin for an out, Robin through back to first to Jerry covering and just missed the double play...and the rest of us just did our best to play well... Good game guys...

We have the HTKP tournament this weekend, I might blog it or summarize it in the next blog, it's sometimes tough to stay on top of this stuff. We have 11 of our own players and we picked up Anicete Goncalves as our 12th player. It would have been great to have the whole team, but unfortunately Don C. wasn't available... Have a great weekend Don... UNITS UNWIELDY!!
  

No comments: