Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Hurtin' Units a little weak on the Torn Ligaments...

HURTIN' UNITS vs. TORN LIGAMENTS.

Game # 2 - May 18, 2010

Hurtin' Units lose 7-5

Team Record 1-1-0

Coventry Park- It turned out to be a good night for baseball after all, considering the weather forecast had been threatening us with the chance of showers for the last several days. There was a cool breeze blowing as I stood out by diamond # 3 watching the Grizzlies and Brew Jays play the early game. I decided I needed my jacket, so I walked all the way back to the parking lot, not the closest parking lot, but the parking lot out by the sewage pond ( the gate was locked and everyone had to park in the far parking lot, some people even had to park down the entrance road).


I retrieved my jacket, drank a frosty, cold Red Bull and began my return journey back to diamond # 3. Well at least this trip wasn't as bad as the first trip to the diamond; The first trip I had my baseball bag (a monster of a baseball bag, filled with Captaining junk, you know... hammer, baseballs, kleats, clipboards, first aid stuff, keys, etc.,), the team bat bag, team shirts (I know what you're thinking, it's shirts...it's still bulky stuff), a new ball (we were the home team) and a 5 gallon bottle of water (okay, I'm lying about the water), but I did feel like a pack mule heading down into the Grand Canyon. After the game things were a little easier, I had distributed the shirts and Robin carried the bats, I was left with my monster baseball bag and I can handle that...Okay, that's my little story about nothing, now on to the game... 


Well it's been 2 weeks since the last time we played and it felt good to be back on the field again. I'm sure a few of us are feeling a little stiff and sore after the game, two weeks is too long between games for athletes of our vintage. The good news is we will be playing once or twice weekly from now on...


At game time we found ourselves with a depleted lineup. Three of our dominate hitters were unavailable for the game . Mikey O., Chris R., Chris N. were not in the lineup and we had to bring in a veteran substitute by the name of Gary Cox (Coxy).


The game started off with the Ligaments scoring 2 runs in the first inning. Our half was promising, we had the bases loaded with only one out, but we could only manage to bring a single run home. The Hurtin' Units took a brief lead in the middle innings, but could not hold off the potent offensive power of Ligaments with batters like Rob Hayward, Paul Piellusch and Bob Smith leading the charge.


Both teams had very good defensive games. Bob Smith was like a vacuum for baseballs at shortstop. Certainly didn't help our OBAs.


The Units defense actually kept the score from being more lopsided than it was. Jerry had his mojo going, striking out multiple batters and making the Ligament players chant the beer, beer, beer, beer song...Paul G. had some smooth plays at third base, throwing out runners at first , as well as a line drive catch into his out stretched glove over his head. Jerry slowed down a line drive, which was sure to be a base hit, and deflected in to the glove of Tom at second for a force play and an inning ending out... Don and Jens both made spectacular catches in the outfield. Coxy didn't contribute much in RCF, (only a single grounder that managed to get by me at second), but he did have some key hits driving in several of the Units runs...


In summarizing the Hurtin' Units second game, I have to admit I like the defense and the baseball sense will have displayed in the first two games. We have not had any situations where we have thrown the ball away or around the infield or over the fence. We have, as a team, made smart plays and kept our composure even when under pressure....Our bats were a little rusty in game two, but a two week layoff is probably to partially to blame, we have some solid hitters on this team and once we get into a rhythm the hits and runs are going to come...Our next game is Thursday May 27, 2010 at 7:00pm... UNITS UNIFIED!!

No comments: