Sunday, August 10, 2014

WOODY'S WAKE UP WITH HURTIN' UNITS.

HURTIN' UNITS VS. THE HOTTUB WOODYS.

Game # 18- August 6, 2014

Hurtin' Units lose 15-6

Team Record- 3-15-0

Keogh Park- I used this same picture (Baseball World), in the blog, last time we played the Hottubers. The only difference is that the picture was inverted, back then, because back then I believed the Hurtin' Units had been thrust in to bizzaro world and were going through this crazy bizzaro world stuff.  

The last time we played the Hottub Woodys was back on May 28th and the Woodys tore us up by a score of 26-10. I was really hoping for a better result in this our 2nd game.

I've got some good news and some not so good news!! The was perusing the stats last weekend and the Hurtin' Units numbers did not look all that great. The bad news is our plus/minus was at -143 and the next closest team was at -63. The good news was we were only 2 points out of 14th place. 

The weather for this game was almost perfect; I say almost because the sun played a little bit of havoc in the right field. The temperature was mid 20s for this 7:00pm start. The umpire was Don S... yea, shocked me too, I thought our official umpire was Roman...I hope he's okay.

Where's Roman? I hope he's okay.
We were the visitors in this game.

We were missing a lot of our roster for this game...it might be easier to say who was there.

Missing for this game were Kevin, Dave, Clayton, Don and Art. We played with only 9 players all game, the Woodys supplied a catcher. We picked up Brad Y. and Tim O. as subs.

I had a feeling that this game was going to be a rough one. After all, we were missing our 1,2,3, 4, and 6 rated players and as much faith as I have in the rest of the guys, this one would be tough.     

We really did live up to our team name on this night. Kevin was still out with a calf muscle, Dave with a sore shoulder, I still have a tender knee and Dwayne, even though he and Iplayed, has a nasty leg abrasion which he got sliding in to 2nd base last week. Dwayne's leg looked painful, it was really, really, really glowing red and it was scabbed up really good. He told us his wife was making him go to the doctor the next day. 

As for the game, like so many this season, we got down early and could not recover. The Woodys scored 6 runs in the first inning and they didn't look back!!

The Hurtin' Units offense wasn't very good to start the game, of the first 7 batters we sent to the plate, only one would get on base. The Units would get on the scoresheet in the top of the third inning, with a lead off, over the left field fence homerun by super sub Brad Y. The Units would score another run in the inning, but it would take 4 more innings like this to even tie the game. 

The Woodys have a solid lineup and I remember asking myself, on the pitcher's mound "when does the bottom of the order come up"? Before this game started, I told myself this was going to be a practice game. Over the past month or so, most of the Unit's players have been in a semi-permanent position, but last night, (this game) only two players were they had been playing, myself and Joel, everyone else was in an unfamiliar positions. 

Personally speaking, I think we did a decent job, considering who was missing. Since I thought of this game as a practice game, I decided to practice using some of my pitches (mostly knuckle ball), but it wasn't going over the plate very well and I was missing the mat a lot. I walked a season high batters in this game; on average this season, I was walking less than a batter a game. I guess practice makes perfect, but when does all this practice start to pay off? 

The Units only have 4 games remaining, our next game is Tuesday August 12th vs. the Brew Jays.   


walk watch- g-5, s-

No comments: