Friday, May 9, 2014

"AND BY THE WAY...THEY'RE REAL, AND THEY'RE SPECTACULAR."

HURTIN' UNITS VS. BLUES BROTHERS.

"AND BY THE WAY...THEY'RE REAL, AND THEY'RE SPECTACULAR."
Teri Hatcher talks about the 2014 Hurtin' Units.  
Game # 1- May 8, 2014

Hurtin' Units lose 10-8 


Team Record- 0-1-0


Keogh Park- I must be honest here and say that I really have no interest in doing the blog thingie again this season, but it is something I started back the Hurtin' Units entered the league and I will continue even if my interest is wavering a little. Who knows, I may get back in to it and enjoy doing it again. As I have in other seasons, I welcome anyone to contribute to this blog, I will gladly publish anything anyone wants to blog. 

The one thing I do like about the blog is I can go back to the beginning or season 2 or 3 or 4 and recall what it was like when we were playing in those years. 

The blog is a timeline of this team. It is a walk down memory lane for the past Unit players and it will hopefully be an entertaining site for the 2014 Hurtin' Unit and T.O.T players.  

It's been a long time since we rocked and rolled. It really has been a long time; the 2013 season ended for the Hurtin Units on September 14, 2013 with a 17-14 loss to the Dislocated Joints in a elimination game. 

The winter we just went through seemed extremely long and it even seems like a long time since the 2014 draft. But for the Hurtin' Units, the season is finally underway. 

On Thursday May the 8th, we finally got on the field and it felt great. The final results were not what we wanted, but we have 23 games left to turn it around.

Our first game was actually scheduled for Tuesday May 6th, but the diamonds were not yet released to the league and the game was cancelled. On Wednesday, the town released the diamonds, but no games were played due to a problem with the lights at Keogh Park. The Units got our game in on Thursday evening only because we played the 7:00pm game. 

At game time we had 9 Hurtin' Unit players really to play the first game. Missing from the roster were Dwayne, Coxy and Esau. We picked up Stef K. as a sub.  

This game marks the first time, in the Units five season history, that the Units have lost their season opener. Going in to this season we had a record of 3-0-1 in opening season games. I mentioned this stat to Mike last night and he seemed to think that maybe, just maybe, a change could put the Units on a path to bigger and better things. I hope the boy is right...only time will tell. 

Considering that we were not able to get a practice in, I thought we played quite well. There were some first game jitters, but I think everyone played well. Our rookie Art got lots of action, the batting of most players seem solid (considering it was a different ball from previous years) and everyone (including myself) had a bit of difficulty throwing at times. 

There were two new items introduced in the first game. First was the new ball that will be used this season; the league will be using the Hot Dot as our official ball this season. The second item is the new home plate mat; a new rubber mat will replace the wooden board used in previous seasons, home plate will now be included as part of the strike zone. 

So the season is now officially under way and I'm looking forward to getting on the field on a regular basis. And with the 2014 now in full swing, it's time to say goodbye to the 2013 Hurtin' Units players. I would like thank the 2013 team for a great season and wish you all the best of luck with your new teams. I made the 2013 player cards last season, but never got the chance to use them. I have the whole 2013 and will include them in this blog when I get a chance. See you on the field. 

Walk Watch- G-0, S-0

No comments: