Thursday, May 16, 2013

HURTIN' UNITS CAUGHT BY THE DOGCATCHERS...


" We're still holding on to a playoff spot" - Gary Cox following the loss to the Dogcatchers.

HURTIN' UNITS VS. THE DOGCATCHERS.

Game # 2 - May 14, 2013

Hurtin' Units lose 15-14

Team Record 1-1-0

Coventry Park- Diamond # 3 The season is officially under way, every team has played at least one game and some have played as many as 4 games already. This game is the second game for the Hurtin' Units with another scheduled for Thursday evening against the Dusty Cleats.

I'm one of these guys that likes to be really prepared when it comes to doing things and baseball is no exception. I like to prepare the game sheet and lineup prior to the game, I pack my bag, have my clothes ready, etc. I don't like when the expected happens, it takes away from my focus. An example of such would be the lights not coming on at the park, it distracts me and takes away my focus. On opening night I'm even more anal about having everything ready to go. 

On opening night there was something I forgot to check before heading to the park and it could have distracted me. I think I am evolving as player and I took this little incident, that happened at the park, as a real stepping stone. What happened Jimmer?is probably what you're thinking... I was at the bleachers putting on my cleats, I put the right foot in, shook it all about, tied a bow and then I put my left foot in and shook it all about, pulled on the lace and snap!!! Yes, my shoe lace had broken, I didn't have another pair of laces (honestly I didn't even look), there were people in the bleachers and that girl named Gina ?, sitting in the stands, offered me a new pair she had in the car, I thanked her and just tied the lace back together. I didn't really want to change the lace, it was getting close to game time, I needed to throw the ball. The repair job made it through the night and we won the game. I can't believe I didn't check my shoe laces. 

On Saturday, I stopped by Dollarama and purchased several new pair of laces. The coolest thing is that the laces are black and yellow like our team colours, not the Boston Bruins. Going in to this game I had another distraction. Did you ever get a song stuck in your head and it just keeps popping back in. Well... I have this silly little diddy stuck in my brain going around and around. What's the song you ask? "Prius for Everyone"... Watch the video to hear the song.        

Okay there you have it, the Prius for Everyone song.

With the weather we had over the past weekend, I think we got off pretty lucky for this game. At game time the temperature was hovering around 10 degrees and there was a strong breeze blowing south to north and it actually played a part in this loss.

 

At game time we had eleven Hurtin' Units players ready to take on the Dogcatchers. We still didn't have our shirts, but I received an e-mail on Monday evening, indicating that the shirts were ready and we could possibly get them later on Tuesday evening. Following the game, we were heading to the Legion and Paul P. was waiting in the Coventry parking lot with the shirts. We went to the Legion and distributed the shirts while having a couple of jugs of icy cold Coors Light. Now that we have our shirts, the season is definitely now officially, 110% under way.  

The Units were the visitors in this game, which meant the Dogcatchers would have last at bat and that last at bat was the one that decided the outcome of the game. The Dogcatchers 7th inning was their most productive all game. I now have a smaller scale idea of how the Toronto Maple Leafs felt on Monday night against the Bruins. It was almost the same thing.












Even though we were saddled with a loss, I really enjoyed this game. It was a good competitive back and forth battle in every inning and it came down to the last inning and almost the last at bat to decide the victor. The game had 29 runs scored and there were a total of 56 hits in the game.

The game also had homeruns, hard hit balls, sprayed all over the field, and some tremendous catches. Brad Young hit a out of the park, wind assisted, off the top of the fence homerun. Phil G. (Philly Cheese Steak, as Mikey likes to say) hit 2 in the park homeruns for the Units. This game was a good ole fashion slug fest. 56 total hits. 

On the defensive side, our fielders were busy, the ball was carrying to left and left center fields and Woody made some amazing catches. Hags had his fair share of adventure in left field.

There was a moment in the game where Coxy forgot where first base was...It was actually a funny moment when Coxy hit a ground ball to the Dogcatchers second baseman (Mike D.), playing to left of the second base bag. Coxy hit the ball right at the second baseman, assumed he was out, ran 5 steps and turned toward the dugout, the second baseman bobbled the ball back on to the dirt, then kicked the ball, reached for the ball again, bobbled the ball again and then finally retreived the ball and threw to first base for the out. I think Ricky Bobby, hopping on one leg, could have made it to first before the out.

Speaking of Ricky Bobby, there was a play in the first inning when Gord R. hit a swinging bunt in front of home plate, Ricky was catching at the time, he took several steps toward the ball and came up in pain in his leg. The injury hurt so much he couldn't finish the inning. Ricky would recover (sort of) and would hit and run the bases all night. It certainly looked very serious, at the time, but it was good to see Ricky finish the game.  

The Hurtin' Units next game is Thursday May 16, 2013 at 7:00pm.

No comments: