Saturday, April 6, 2013

I'll Have a Draft Please...

DRAFT DAY – SATURDAY APRIL 6, 2013: 9:05 am – I have just received some disturbing news! A fax from one of the Hurtin' Units advanced scouts has informed me that a story, (unconfirmed) is about to break that several of the players on my 40 man wish list, are about to be accused of using performance enhancing drugs. Inside sources say that the players have been caught with several different PEDs, the most dangerous being the drugs A535 and Advil. Apparently, these drugs when used at the same time, provide pain relief and loosen muscles to make men 35+ years old play better baseball. This is definitely a black (there's that colour again) eye on the T.O.T league and it's especially bad on the most important day of the entire season. More on this story as it unfolds...



How does this news affect the Hurtin Units draft picks today? I knew that some players in the league had been using these PEDs, but I just turned a blind eye when I saw the hairy legs that they were being applied to, not a pretty sight to see. I will admit that I have used similar substances in the past and I could use them again in the future. How does this news affect the Hurtin Units draft picks today? It doesn't it's a blind draft. And further more, I encourage (especially if you're over 40) the use of these PEDs if it makes my new teammates better on the field!!!

I was perusing the rating sheets again this morning; there are some players on the ratings sheet I probably would change on my 40 man wish list, but I have put my list out there and I'll let the chips (mmm chips, I should bring some chips to the draft) fall where they may. I'm thinking about these players anyway, so they could still manifest themselves on to the Units.

As the draft nears, we continue to prepare for the 1:00 pm start. We have our new draft shirts ready to go, we have the ratings list on hand, pens ready to write names and numbers, money in the wallets for beverages and a great attitude that we are going to draft a great 2013 Hurtin' Units team. If by some chance is not the most talented team...we are still going to have a fun season.

Draft Day Draft - Let's do this!  We arrived at the Legion at about 12:15,  I thought we were going to be a early and when we arrived, there were already team captains seated  throughout the legion. So much for getting a seat up near the front. We were greeted by V.P Paul P. who allocated the 2013 Team draft sheets, we set up out table and then started preparing for our picks. The draft started just after 1:00pm and the first round was for number 1 pitchers.

It's Roster Time-In the second round we made our first pick of the day. The Hurtin' Units first pick in the 2013 draft was rookie player Darrell Hager (Hags) as the Units P2. The Hurtin' Units second pick was the number 12, Brian Kononiuk. Brian played for the Tap Masters last season. The next pick was the number 11, Rick Lyon, I had the pleasure of playing with Ricky on the Banshees in 2009. In our next pick, number 10, the Units picked up Vince Basacchi. Vince played with the Dogcatchers last season. 

In the next round, number 9, the Units picked Richard Gabourie. Richard played with the Hurtin' Units in 2011 and with the Gruesome Devils last season. We had a bit of a break after the number 9 round. The 8th, 7th and 6th players were already on the roster with myself (8), Mike (7) and Darrell (6) which gave us some time to actually review the players we picked up, grab a brewski and hit the head. 



Mike picked our next player, the number 5, and the Hurtin' Units select Gary Cox (Coxy). Coxy played with the Dogcatchers last season. Coxy played with Mike and I in my first year in the league, I took a lot of abuse that season, I also had tears streaming down my face from laughing so hard. This is a great pick up. Our next pick was EL PRESEDANTE, Jamie McClean as our number 4 rated player. Jamie played in the finals last season with the Brew Jays. The next player, in the number 3 rated position, was Dan (Woody) Chiasson. Woody played for the Banshees last season. Mike and I also played with Woody on the same team as Coxy, I'm definitely going to be abused this season. 

I was up to pick the number 2 player, and the Hurtin' Units pick Ricky (Ricky Bobby) Cudnik. Ricky Bobby played with the Grisslies last season. Heading into the final pick, the number 1 rated player, Mike and I kept saying " we need a shortstop", there were players we picked that could play SS, but we were hoping for a stud. It was Mike's turn to pick a player, and the player Mike picked was Phil Glecoff. This was a huge pick for our team. Phil was the stud we were looking for, Mike and I were smiling ear to ear with this final pick. Phil played with the Dogcatchers last season.

There you have it, the 2013 Hurtin' Units team. A well balanced team of defense, hitting, running and beer drinking. To view the roster go to rosters or click here.

Looking back at mine and Mike's wish lists, I was 3 for 10 on my picks at 30% and Mike was 5 for 10 at 50%.

No comments: