Thursday, May 10, 2012

HURTIN' UNITS PLAY IN MUDDY WATERS...

HURTIN' UNITS VS. THE GRISSLIES
t
 
Game #2- Tuesday May 8, 2012


Hurtin' Units lose 17-16


Team Record 0-1-1

Coventry Park- I really enjoyed this game against the Grisslies to the point where I could have played a full 9 innings or even more. This game had everything- runs, hitting, great defensive plays, lead changes, comebacks, you name it, it was there. I remember standing out on the pitcher's mound, in the bottom of the sixth inning (the open inning for this game) and looking into the bleachers, there were alot of people there watching, there was a hush and most were focused on what was taking place on the field. I think it's pretty cool that our game had the attention of most that were there...

There were several things that bothered me about this game. First was the gigantic, swamp like pond where the infield meets the grass, between second and first bases. The Grisslies managed to stickhandle the ball in to this giant puddle on three different occasions, forcing our scuba players in to retrieve the ball, everytime this happened the Grisslies took full advantage of the situation... “We're not good swimmers”!! I look forward to the games where we have ideal (or close to ideal) conditions, no ankle deep with mud battter's boxes, no pond on the infield and a dry outfield wear the ball is not constantly wet in our hands. This was our first night in our team shirts, I tried to dry the ball on my unwashed shirt, after every dip in the pond, but the shirt had no absorbing qualities at all and all I could smell was that new shirt smell... I'll give her a washin' on the wash board down by the creek and she'll be ready for the next game...  

The second thing that had me bothered (maybe concerned is a better word) was that Mike sustained an lower body injury, in his Sunday night league, and was not able to play. The extent of the injury is unknown and Mike will be consulting with a surgeon in the upcoming weeks... I'm hoping for good news...

The third thing that really, really bothered me about this game was the play of Doug Dwyer...This guy is a Hurtin' Unit killer... I think he was the first guy to splash down in the infield pond, forcing Rob Rumbolt to put on his hip waders and go in. Then he hits another ball down the first base line, almost perfectly on the line, he snagged some balls on defense, etc. etc. How do we defend against this guy, because ya know if we shade him to the off field, he'll hit the other way... He's not Danny Chaisson, who would hit to the same side if he was facing backwards... 
Doug Dwyer is to me, like Newman is to Jerry Seinfeld... “ Dwyer” !! Good game Douglas.

For the second game in a row, I forgot to photograph or write out the game sheet, something I do to help me do a boxscore, last batter and other information. I figure since we had a full team out (Mike came out to watch), most of us can recall what happened and if you don't remember you can always slip over to Doug Dwyer's blog, afterall it was the Grisslies and Doug will have a detailed account of this game, on his blog.

Pitch Bits: This game was not the defensive gem that we had against the Dogcatchers, but did anybody really think we were only going to allow only 5 runs per game, I don't think so... Okay, I can't keep track of all the hits (there were a lot by both teams), but I can tell you I had 2 strike outs (drink up boys, there are 2 jugs coming), I walked 2 batters and I allowed a career high 17 runs... One of the strike outs was a third strike foul out, but it still counts as a strike out. I can also tell you this, when the ball goes in the water, it becomes slippery and harder to grip, it went in the pond (water) 3 different times...I'm not making excuses, this information is more for my development purposes this season, I'm hoping I can improve every game as the season progresses...whether my balls are wet or not...

LAB- Gord Robin...

See ya next game...

No comments: