Sunday, August 1, 2010

HOTTUB WOODIES BEAT THE UNITS....

HURTIN' UNITS vs. The HOTTUB WOODIES....

 
Game # 17 - July 27, 2010


Hurtin' Units lose 12-10


Team Record- 14-2-1

Coventry Park- Our weather has settled a bit over the last couple of days and for the first time in weeks there was not a serious threat of rain or thunderstorms. Most of game day was quite nice, the temperature topped out at 28 degrees and the skies at game time were clearing. Clear skies meant sunshine in the faces of almost every player on diamond #2. We were the visitors in this game...


At game time we had eleven players suited up. Tom Perry was the only missing body...


I must take some responsibility for the loss last night, not necessarily because of my play, although I probably should have a couple of balls hit down the right side, but more because of my negative thoughts over the last couple of days...There are times when we are out of balance with the universe and when I say “we”, I'm not talking about us as a team, but more as individuals... Whether you refer to these feelings as imbalance, resistance or even ying and yang, there is something throwing you off. Sometimes people experience resistance for a day, others for a week and some even for years...

Everything they do is met with resistance. Unfortunately, I'm having one of those weeks, and even as I sit here writing this blog, I'm trapped at a railway crossing, the barriers are stuck down and I have been here for more than 15 minutes, not bad if you're being paid (which I am), but when you have 20 people on your bus, who are late for work, the pressure can be very uncomfortable...

This is only 1 or 2 or 3 of the minor resistances that I've been experiencing since the start of the week. I'm not going to bore you with the details, but believe me when I say there seems to be a backlog of issues...Today (July 28) is the anniversary of my mother's sudden passing, it's been 19 years and it seems like only yesterday. These events are so clear in my head that perhaps, I tend to attract negative thoughts around me this week. I'm sure we all have devastating events in our lives we can clearly remember, where and what we were doing on these days... Events like JFK assasination, the space shuttle Challenger explosion or planes smashing into the World Trade Center are days that some of us can recall and when we do think of them they are not the most positive of thought...

On Tuesday evening I subbed for the Red Dogs, I had a good game and the Dogs were victorious over the Torn Ligaments. I find this event to be negative event because for the first time subbing this season I was on the winning side... As we were shaking hands, I kept thinking about our game against the Woodies on Tuesday evening...This could be a bad omen. Plus I was thinking the Woodies have played us hard both times we met this season( once in the regular season once in the HTKP tournament) and the way my week had been shaping up had me thinking the Units were in a heap o' trouble on Tuesday night...


The Woodies are a solid team; they have good defense and their bats managed to rattle the Hurtin' Units. The game at one time looked like it may be a rout, especially when the Woodies a scored 7 runs in one of their innings..

Up until last nights game we have looked damn good; we lead the league in the standings ( at least we did earlier today) , we had a 14 game unbeaten streak, we won 11 games in a row and we lead the league in batting average with an average of

The game against the Woodies was definitely not a blow out or a good o' fashion ass kickin', but it was a loss , something we are not used to experiencing and hopefully this makes us stronger going forward...

The Game:

The first inning saw the no scoring for either team, but we were retired with the bases loaded, which in hindsight could have made the difference in the final score if we could have brought those runners around. The Woodies scored a single run in the bottom of the second inning to take a 1-0 lead. The top of the third inning saw the Units score 3 runs and take a brief 3-1 lead, but in the bottom of the inning the Woodies scored 2 more runs to tie the game at 3-3 after 3 innings...

In the forth inning neither team could score. In the fifth inning, the Units put a single run, but Woodies hammered in 7 runs to take a 10-4 lead. The Woodies would score 2 more runs in the bottom of the sixth to increase their lead to 12-4.

In the seventh inning, the Hurtin' Units bats came to life. The Units managed to bring 6 runs around making the score 12-10 and with the tying run on second base, Al H. hit a solidly hit linedrive down the third baseline which was caught by the Woodies third baseman for the final out of the game...


Boxscore:
                      1st    2nd   3rd    4th    5th    6th    7th     Total

Hurtin' Units       0       0        3       0      1        0        6       10


Woodies             0       1         2      0      7        2        X      12

When I write the blog I usually write it the morning after the game, this way I can remember some of the events, highlights and plays. As usual I wrote the blog on the day after, but couldn't find the time to type it out and publish it until Sunday...On Thursday evening my negative woes continued. On Thursday evening I subbed for the Dodge City Rounders and I was given the opportunity to play second base. During the game I had numerous balls hit in my direction and everything just seemed to be hit out of my reach or when something came to me it was an adventure to make a play... I felt like I was fighting the ball the entire evening and of course the ribbing I was taking from my teammates wasn't helping. Needless to say it was not my greatest game of the season. The Dodge City Rounders lost the game...

On Saturday things started to turn more in a positive direction. The little negative things that were happening earlier last week were disappearing and good things were starting to happen... On Saturday Rosa and I went to the local variety store to check some lottery tickets and found we had won over $300.00, nice little surprise...

Next Wednesday we play the Torn Ligaments, the only other team to beat us this season in the regular season and I look forward to face this team with a renewed positive attitute... Units Unravelled!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jimmer, I like what you're doing on the blog, looks great. Johnny